Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Adventure of Sorts

A true story...
By Paradiso, the Elf
(Republished with Permission)



I was strolling through the Worfin countryside one day - ambling about, enjoying the cool breeze and the vast nothingness around me - when all of a sudden, I spotted a figure in the distance.

"A fellow wanderer!" I thought to myself as I rushed toward the figure. How wrong I was. As I approached it, I noticed the strangeness in the figure's gait and the oddly shaped head. Upon nearing it even still, I found - to my horror - that the figure was, indeed, a wanderer, but not one of the sorts that I am accustomed to encountering. A massive Ogre stood before me, lurching in an uneven path toward no place in particular. His beady eyes were red with rage and spittle frothed at his mouth.

I remained a safe distance away from the brute as I notified my fellows of the find. I knew that Radnar, King of Radnaria, was on the lookout for the ogre. He asked me where it was. As I was telling him, it went over a hill and disappeared from sight. I ran after it, afraid I might lose the beast if I let it out of my field of vision.

To my dismay, as I topped the hill I found the beast lurking on the other side, sneering at me. It had laid a trap! The creature sprung on me and began swiping me with its vicious claws. I tried to fight back with my spear, but alas, it was too strong. I began to run.

I ran and ran - across the sweeping hills of Worfin, my heart pounding in utter fear of the dark underworld that awaited me should the beast catch me. It was behind me every step of the way. I didn't know where to go, except back to Worfin village. Maybe the dwarves there could protect me from the wrath of this monster. If they couldn't, I could always retreat to the boat and sail back to Stondar.

Upon reaching the village, I turned around to find the ogre was utterly ignoring the dwarves around me, just as the dwarves were ignoring the ogre. I ran to the boat. The ogre was right behind me. I could hear it gnashing its teeth in reverence of the meal to come. I leapt onto the boat and...

All went black, pitch black. The darkness engulfed me in deafening silence.

Then suddenly, I was in the ocean, under the water. I could see the sunlight refracting through the waves above me and glistening at the surface. I swam up and burst out of the water, gasping for air. Breathing heavily, I peered around me in anticipation. There was nothing to see. Water stretched in every direction for what seemed like an immeasurable distance. I was floating on a plane of infinite water. I hadn't a clue what could be done, so I did the only thing I could. I swam. I swam South.

I swam for what seemed to be eternity. Or was it only a minute? Time was lost in this infinite void of ocean and sky. I prayed, screamed, begged to the gods for salvation, but there was none. It seemed I was to die out here, alone, quietly. I continued South. If I couldn't find land at least I would find the edge of the world. Perhaps I could at least end my life quicker there... but wait! A form, in the distance! Shrouded by mist!

I wipe my eyes - the form seems to appear and reappear at random intervals. Was it even real? I swam toward it, clinging to what little hope I had left. A ship! could it be... the ship Golden Link? It was! What captain, other than the fearless Torvin, would dare these treacherous unending waters? I dashed toward the ship with what little energy I had left. The pain of my wounds from my encounter with the ogre fell into the back of my mind - all I could think of was salvation! And aboard his ship, the great Lord of Sheep Island, Garon himself. They hoisted me up to the deck and I was saved.

Darkness enveloped me again...

The End.


(Editor's Note: The events described in this story did occur in the Magic of the Gods game on November 11, 2008. After the elf escaped from the ogre, the ogre turned on the dwarves of Worfin Village, attacking them. Several dwarves managed to fight the ogre including Jareg and Gworin. Gworin was wounded, but managed to kill the ogre. Ogres have not been seen on Worfin Island since. It is possible this was the last of the Worfin ogres.)

No comments: